Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tea, Miss Jones?

Photobucket
The countdown started weeks ago.  It had been one year and two months since I last laid eyes on my sister.  One year and two months since I've hugged her kids.  One year and two months since we laughed, and laughed, and laughed. 
Photobucket
One year and two months since we bumped into each other in my mother's kitchen.  One year and two months since we stayed up far too late together...Do you get my point?  It's been one year and two months too long since we were together.  This past week finally, we got to see them again.  My Little asked me everyday "We going to Grandad and Babette's today Mommy?  To see Uncle Matt and Mimi."
When we pulled into the driveway, two gangly girls came running outside that vaguely resembled the little girls I picture in my mind. Wow, what a difference a year and two months make!

The threw their arms around us and welcomed little Maggie for the first time.  They grabbed Libby by the hand and whisked her away into the house.  My sister reached her arms out to Maggie and held like she'd been waiting for that moment between them for 7 months...
Photobucket
My older cousin, who has a sister, told me one time that you love your sister's kids in a really special way, b/c they come from a person who knows you like no one else does...For me and my sister we played and dreamed together of being mothers one day, so to be able to hold that dream of your sister's in your arms is a pretty spectacular thing.
Photobucket
Maggie looked at her, like Libby did just a bit puzzled..."you're like my Mommy in a lot of ways...you look alike, you talk alike, but I don't think that you are her.  I'll let you cuddle with me, but could you please make sure that she stays in the room!"
Photobucket
When I walked in the house I found that all of the cousins had abandoned their play clothes and were digging through Babette's dress up clothes.  Sidney and Allison threw a table cloth on the play table, and they set it with Libby's princess tea set. 
Photobucket
Sidney served everyone, and they all used prissy tea party accents..except for maybe Christian who kept swiping crackers before he was served them.  However, he wore the cape they dressed him quite happily!
Photobucket

I really love how someone ran out in the yard and pick a bouquet of leaves!  Do you see that little splash of green in the middle of the table?  You can't plan these things...if a grown up had been in charge, it would have been far too pretentious.
Photobucket
Libby loved every minute of it, and I'm happy to say listens to her big cousins much better than she does me!
Photobucket
After I tucked Maggie in that night, I found all the children, washed and ready for bed listening to the biggest cousin read to them...I can't believe how grown up she is. Sidney was Libby's age when she was the flower girl in our wedding...Look at her now, holding the book up, just like her Mama, for all the little ones to see.
Photobucket
There is no story behind this next picture...just a place to tell you that together they make an unstoppable pair of mischief that is priceless to watch...
Photobucket
I'll be watching their mischievous tale unfold next week when when we get to spend a couple more days with them before they head back to SoCal...
I love them dearly...all 5.  So thankful to spend this time with them...it's the crowning point of our summer.  We've been waiting to check it off the to do list:
Run in the sprinklers-check
Eat watermelon- check
Catch lightning bugs-check
Play with cousins at Babette's house-check

Now if I could just eat a snowball and some steam crabs, I might be willing to admit that it is almost time for fall....hmmm, I'll work on that.

Grace and Peace
xoxo

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Great pictures of the cousins enjoying themselves together. I love the way Sydney plays mother - pouring the tea and reading to them at bedtime and Libby is really paying attention to her!
I'm also sure you and Amy enjoyed the time spent together just as much, or even more than, the younger generation.

Jill said...

Seriously Dar, every time you post something like this the title should be "Warning Cousin Jill, you're going to cry" subtitled "A visit with the cousins". I love these stories and can't wait to share time with everyone next week too.

Diane said...

Love this post! Looking forward to seeing all of you soon!

Jennifer said...

I cried the whole way through this post, too! It makes my heart overflow to see you and Amy and your children. It seems like it was just yesterday that we were all playing at the same house! So glad you enjoyed your time with Amy! I know it was very special! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the picture of your and her!

Abigail said...

What a sweet time to store up until you are together again. If only so many miles weren't between!

Lisa A said...

That picture of all the cousins during story time needs to be enlarged and put somewhere prominent because it is absolutely precious! Such sweet memories!