Thursday, April 29, 2010

Really? A Parenting Book?

If I'm really honest in this here space, I would tell you that I am not a very productive person.  If you were to call me on any given day and ask me what I'm doing, lately my answer would be something like painting pictures for the neighbor, or covering my kitchen chairs, or blowing bubbles on the deck, or going for walk with my Little and the pooch.  Answers you would not get are cleaning the house, cooking dinner, making a grocery list, or organizing the family finances.
Last night when Kev told me that he needed the car today, I thought to myself, "self, we'll be at home all day, perfect time to organize your life, like you've been planning on."
Instead, when we woke up to see the bluest of blue skies, we decided to walk into town to check out the new coffee shop, and wait for trains to roll by. Who needs organization when you can play right?
So there we were, stepping out from our driveway promptly at 9:45... dog loosely held by one hand, and baby being pushed by the other.  What a perfect morning we were having, spring green was screaming at me from every angle and the sky was really the most perfect blue without one cloud.  I was so fully engrossed in my surroundings that when I hit a bump in the road, it didn't even phase me.  That is, until I realized that the bump in the road was Libby and I driving over her with the stroller!!!!!!!!! 
Seriously, didn't I learn about strapping her into the stroller last year about this time.  Ideally, there just so happened to be a crowd of landscapers around as the wheels rolled over her little wrist.  A nice lady came running to tell me her tail of dumping her little out of the pram unstrapped,  and I thought, it's nice to know I'm not the only delinquent mother out there. 
She recovered quickly, thankfully, and we continued onward to town.  My eyes were set on that hot mocha, that waited for me track side.  When we arrived I tied Gus to a heavy bench and took Libby in to order my drink..."sure" the guy says and I hand him my card...."this ones on me , we only take cash and checks,"  Wow, it was like he knew I had just been through a traumatic experience.  I wanted to hop over the counter , hug him and tell him that I just drove over my baby with the stroller while she laid helpless on the pavement and the mocha was the only thing keeping me from breaking down into a fit of guilt...I didn't though, I just said thanks and assured him I would be back with $3.00 in hand.
Libs and I went back outside and I let her play by the library while we waited to see a  train,  to top off our outing.   She was making her hundredth lap around the flower bed when I saw her lean over, pick something up, and put it in he mouth...and what should I find tantalizing her taste buds, a long lost fruit loop from some child's snack cup, not our snack cup!  I managed to ripped  it out of her jaws of life, only to find her seconds later with another.  It was as if Hansel and Gretal had left her a little trail to Toucan Sam land.
No bedlem ensued on the journey home, so we stopped off at the park so I could put housewife duties off for just a little longer.  As we swung back and forth together, I made a mental note, always use provided straps especially if there is an audience, and clear all play areas of unidenifed snacks!
Happy parenting, the book will be out soon, and yes, I'll sign your copy!
Grace and peace...

7 comments:

Erin said...

crack me up. so glad we got to talk today. sorry i laughed when you were telling me. :) hee hee. i'd buy your book - just 'cause i LOVE what you write!

TeamWhitehead06 said...

Holy Cuteness! I loooooove the last photo! And, I'm glad that you didn't come with us today! Not that we don't enjoy your company, and not that I want you to have a bad day or anything... but I'm pretty jazzed that I got to read that post! It cracked me up!!! So thanks!

Lisa A said...

Sounds like what I try to do on a daily basis...find things to keep me away from my house full of chores and organizational needs! :) I really thought for sure that I was going to read that while you were in getting your coffee that Gus ran off with the table like in Marley and Me. :) Love this pics, as always, she is just so cute!

Jill said...

I seriously laughed out loud the entire time I was reading this. Please stop running over my baby with a stroller. Or if you continue to not use straps, please wrap her in bubble wrap like the kid in "Little Giants". Much appreciated. Love you guys.

Jan said...

Seriously Carly, You need to write a book - put in all this really funny stuff and your pictures. I think it would really sell! Then you would never have to worry about house matters... you could hire someone to do the financing, cleaning and cooking. When you make it big, don't forget it was my idea!

I have a great cookbook called the Pioneer Woman Cooks and she put in great stories and pictures of her family. It is the best book I have.

Melanie said...

you are awesome!!

Andrea said...

Hilarious! You know I'll buy the book.