Friday, January 23, 2009

The Strait and Narrow

Kevin decided that I was getting him a snow board for Christmas this year, so that he can have a winter hobby. He thought I also needed a winter hobby, and since my little keeps me lodge bound instead of on the slopes with Kev, he got me this lovely little contraption.
My mother is an avid stitcher, and tried to teach me several times growing up, but I never advanced past strait lines.
So now I have my own machine and although I was a bit intimidated at first, I am slowly getting acquainted with my new "hobby." I can't sew like her, her, or her, but ladies like this are my inspirations and maybe one day with a little practice I will sew some thing other than a strait line.
Here are some of my first projects. These are little burp cloths I made for baby Christian. A couple people gave me embellished burp cloths and they are my favorite baby things. They make baby spit-up a special occasion!


Here is my other project that I feel like will be ongoing for sometime. When I was a little girl around 8 or 9, I requested a patch work quilt made by my crafty mom. Mom and I started the project together and it never got finished. I had long forgotten about the quilt until this summer when I was looking through my moms scraps to make the "Liberty" letters and found the fabric cut into squares just waiting to be sewn together. Anyway, I thought that since is was just strait lines it would be a great place to start to learn how my machine works. Now, if I were to start from scratch and make a quilt I probably would not choose these fabrics or colors, but these little squares of hearts, dots, and flowers are serving the purpose of teaching me how to use my new toy. If I ever do finish, they will be a great reminder of how much I loved lavender and green when I was a little girl.

7 comments:

Teri said...

Awesome pics, Car. Jen S. gave me a sewing machine a few months ago and my friend Beth gave me a quick tutorial the other day on how to thread it, etc. since I haven't used one in forever. Oh..I hope to join you some day in sewing such beautiful straight lines and making such groovy burp cloths.

Erin said...

I love those burp cloths! They are awesome!!!! I wish I knew how to do that!

Jan said...

I am so proud of you. It won't take long before you will be sewing up a storm. That is all I do now. My house looks like a bomb went off. There are piles of material, thread and scraps all over the place. Love the burp clothes! So cute and much nicer than plain old while.

Amy White said...

Hey Sister! I love what you have done for little Christian. If he is anything like his sisters (and his Libby), we will make good use of the burp cloths. Can't wait to see the quilt. I remember when Mom helped me with a quilt. Keep up the good work, my talented sister! Love you.

LittleReece said...

Thanks so much for the link! I am so flattered! I'm a new blogger, and am so excited to see that anyone wants to read what I'm putting on the web.
I'll be sure to post the pattern for the dresses. It looks like they're the right size for your daughter and are SO easy to make! I'll include written instructions when I put them online for sure!
I'll be watching what you make for sure... love the burp cloths! My baby spits up more than I expected and will need to be making some more burp cloths myself! :-) LOL and there's nothing wrong with straight lines! My singer only does straight lines and I've made 95% of everything since I was 8 using only straight stitches.

Lisa A said...

I wish I knew how to sew! I tried to make some burp cloths for Alivia at my mom's and every time the thread got messed up I had to call her in to fix it! haha

LittleReece said...

haha I feel like such a jerk. You have a boy! Don't make him a dress!!!
What are you expecting? You're so cute pregnant!