Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Upon My Soap Box


I have been watching Jane Austin movies a lot lately and I've been trying to find a reason to work this fact into an interesting post. I found a perfect reason today after almost witnessing a fight break out at Target. You see, in a Jane Austin movie, even when one is speaking their mind or expressing complete disgust in someone, they do it with politeness and decorum and when the scene is over you don't even know that something bad has happened.

Today while holding a pack of diapers, in the BABY section, the section where you buy cuddly blankets and binkies, my father and I stumbled upon two woman screaming at each other. A white woman and black woman (on a day like today none-the-less) yelling and getting upset with one another. There, with my diapers in hand I stared in awe as the white woman shouted something rude about us having a "black" president, then after dropping an "f" bomb stomp away to the black woman laughing and muttering something about her "about to be slapped,"all in front of my sweet little in her stroller, my father, and countless others shocked and horrified shoppers. So, I ask myself where is the self control, what has happened to ladies, and what on earth could have been said to create such a scene? Why do we think that it is okay to speak to others this way?

I will never know, b/c every day you can witness examples of rudeness and lack of self control (and not to create any drama, but while the swearing white lady wasn't wearing pj pants, she was sloppily dressed, which may have lead to her sloppy mouth!). It makes me long for a society more like a Jane Austen novel, where self control, and lady-likeness is still valued. I should have right then and there prayed for these woman instead of judging them, which I obviously have; but I sit her and wonder how these woman got to the point when shouting and screaming seemed like appropriate course of action instead of choosing to have discipline over their mouths.
I pray that I do not stand alone on top this soap box of propriety, but that you who read this blog will join me in being decidedly lady-like, and by teaching our children and those who we have influence over how to behave more appropriately.
The End...
*I will now return to posting strictly about baby milestones, baby daily activities, baby pictures and my exciting life with my dog!

1 comment:

Teri said...

I do declare that you have made a most wise and appropriate observation for our day. I shall now add two more items to my always growing to-do list: 1. Watch a Jane Austin movie 2. Be demure, sweet, and pure in all situations.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Lady Carly. Ta-ta for now.

Seriously...AMEN Sistah!