Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Surprises

My mother called me yesterday and her last words to me were that she hoped that hoped my day would be full of surprises.  When the UPS man knocked on my door around lunchtime I had no idea that his visit was connected with her statement.  I opened up a giant Macy's box with this inside
 Hello Stella.
 Laura told me that my new mixer needed a name, like Stella...So I said, "Stella it is."
Oh heavens, she is so pretty.  I never thought I would own such a nice mixer.  I casually mentioned to my mom  that one day I would likea Kitchen Aid  in this very color and there it was. on my door step, with a  note inside that said "Love, Mom and Dad."  Thanks Mom and Dad for such a lovely gift.
They got my sister one too, her's is named Big Red.  She mixed stuff in California today, while I mixed stuff in Va. We shortened the miles between us by simultaneously mixing at the same time...
 I asked the girls if they wanted to go to the Children's Museum today or did they want to bake cookies.  They chose to bake cookies, in church dresses...Well, why not I thought.
 So we all got dressed up and baked cookies.  While I mixed I thought to myself, one day they are going to come from college on Christmas break and say "hey mom, let's get dressed up and baked cookies,"  and I will reply "great idea darling, why not..."
 I hope we bake cookies together every year.
 I used to dip buck eyes for my mom.
 I also was a professional beater licker/ batter eater.
 So is Maggie.  .

She gets that from my side of the family

 I made an executive decision that this batch was for us and not to give away to friends and neighbors, but if you would like to try an inaugural cookie from Stella, by all means please stop by.

Before the day ended two more great surprises came our way.
First, the Greats (aka Great Grandad and Great Grandma in England) shipped us Christmas Pudding, two tubes of mini Rolos and these lovely little Christmas houses which I am fairly certain are my new favorite Christmas decorations.
Then while waiting for Kev to get home from work we heard such a clatter out of our windows that we sprang from the floor to see what was the matter.  There, ridding on is fire truck sleigh was the big man.
 Our local fireman handed the girls a candy cane (Libs calls them candy cans and it makes me laugh every time) and gave them something to talk about for the rest of the night.
Maggie:  Big tuck
Me:  There was a big truck
Maggie: Yeah.  Ummmm Nana
Me:  Santa was on it
Maggie:  Yeah.  Nanie.
Me:  You got candy
Maggie:  Yeah.  Sissy
Me:  Sissy was there
Maggie:  Yeah.  Mama.
Me: and Mama was there.
Maggie:  Yeah.  My (touching her stomach)
Me: and Maggie was there too
And on and on the conversation went until I tucked her in tonight.
Just in case Libs wan't confused enough, tonight she said "Mommy, maybe Santa works for the fire station and that is where he keeps his reindeer!  We should call them and thank them for the candy cans."  I smiled and said, "maybe Libs," b/c when else in her life will it be okay to think Santa Clause lives at the fire station?
'Twas a good day.
Time for bed.
Grace and Peace
xoxo

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Gasp! That is so sweet of your mom! I love that the girls made cookies all dressed up. And I love the convo about Santa on the fire truck. Here's to Christmas magic!

Laura said...

Love. All. Three. Surprises.

Sandra said...

The cookies look very yummy - don't blame you for keeping them for yourselves.
I also think the little houses look good lit up and will remind Grandad to check out the blog to see them.
When do you expect Libby to ask if she can go visit the reindeer at the fire station?

Jill said...

Lib's face cracks me up in the third picture. CRACKS. ME. UP!

Anonymous said...

Love the Christmas houses from Kev's grandparents...so neat and what a fun tradition that will be to pull those out every year. And remember, I called my mixer the Lady in Red...haha! Love you lots Sister...are we mixing today? :)

Art Teacher's Mom said...

To Stella and the Lady in Red...welcome to the family! I have no doubt delicious treats will be forthcoming from both. :) I love the quaint houses from the Greats...I know they will be a treasure. BTW...photos of the girls baking are priceless. Love & hugs!

Joan S. said...

Carly what a wonderful gift from your mom and grandparents. How fun! I especially LOVE that you let the girls dress up in their Sunday best to bake. What wonderful memories you are creating for them. It is things like that, they will remember in the years to come!