Monday, July 2, 2012

The Foreshadowing

When I was a little girl a high light of our summers was a week of VBS.  The church we went to back then went the extra mile to be sure that it was a week that kids wanted to come back to. I was so excited to learn that Libby was old enough this summer to be part of our church's VBS.

 I'm going to have be "real" with you right here, please don't make fun of me, but I was emotional about her going.  I just love watching her grow up (you know, in the I hate that she is growing up sort of way).  She was so excited to go.  I know that excited...the kind of excited that makes you do everything a little bit faster with smile on your face that goes from ear to ear.  When we got to the church she was shy and didn't want me to leave her side, she kept telling me to stay right there.  I stayed where she could see me while they sang some songs.  She stood almost still between all the other children barely even doing the motions to the songs and clutching her new purse that she insisted on taking with her.  At the end of music they broke the kids up into classes and sent them on their way, and just like that she didn't need me there any more. The teacher took her hand and led my girl out the door off to a day of fun.

I don't know why I felt so emotional about it, like I was dropping her off for her first day of college instead of her first day of Vacation Bible School.  Maybe it was because on the way there she asked me why God gave her to me.  I told her that it was because she was my girl.  Then she said "and you're my mama."  All I could think was surely she would need me with her each step of the way, surely she needed me there in the same building,  I couldn't leave her there with out her mama!  As it turned out, she had a great time.  When I came back to get her, there was no more shyness or clutching to her bag for security, just a huge smile that waved at me from the front of the church while he did every motion to every song...
Just the other day while cleaning through some of my old art supplies I came across one of my old sketch books.  Inside of it I found a doodle that I did probably five or six years ago.

 On either side I wrote a list of baby girl names that I liked  and on the other a list of baby boy names.  I chuckled when I saw it b/c it reminded so much of this picture of my little girl.
Five or six years ago I din't know that I would have a knobby kneed little girl that I would love so dearly, but God placed her name there on my heart and I think somewhere in my mind he gave me the insight of what she might be like.
I'm so thankful God made me her mom.
I hope she goes to college online, from her bedroom, in my house.
I'm just kidding.
Not really.
It's a joke...sort of.
Grace and peace and precious girls.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

So pleased Libby enjoyed her first day at "school" and I hope you and Maggie found some fun things to do as well.

Anonymous said...

Cuties
Sidney