Monday, July 9, 2012

Red Hot


"I can beat the heat, I can beat the heat" that is the mantra I have been repeating in my head over and over again for two weeks of 100+ degree weather.  The other one I have been repeating is "I'm so glad I'm not pregnant, I'm so glad I'm not pregnant" ....strictly based on the summer two years ago when I was pregnant and we stayed inside for two months straight while I waited on the couch for cooler temperatures.  Poor Libby.


Saturday morning I opened the door at 8 am to put a bag of trash outside took a deep breath and in came the thick, hot air that has made up our last few weeks...Yuck!  I quickly went inside and hashed out a plan for our Saturday that involved air conditioning.
Hot!


Kev was off on Wednesday for the fourth of July.  The temptation was to stay at home and get jobs done around  the house since he has been away from home the better part of 8 weeks because of our holiday and works trips.  We knew we would feel like we accomplished something if we took care of our chores.  Instead, we opted to spend time together as family doing what we've done most years since moving to VA.  


We went to the Ashland Fourth of July Parade.  It's a little slice of home town heaven that makes you feel glad that you live in place that celebrates in such an old fashion sort of way.  After we walked through crowds, while an old brass band played "You're A Grand Old Flag," and we ordered up Good Humor ice cream bars from an ice cream truck, we headed home and prepared for an evening with friends. 




 We had friends over last year on the fourth also and it remains one of my favorite days from last summer.  Despite my initial thought of skipping a shrimp boil this year since Kev has been away so much, we decided to do it anyway.  I'm so glad we did.  The kids had a water gun battle and the dads almost got fined for setting off fireworks...All things that make for a lovely 4th.  The way the 4th should be spent eating watermelon, holding sweaty babies, and laughing with friends... Not doing chores. 





A storm rolled through last night lighting up are skies and sending my Little into a series of questions about lightning and thunder that I'm sure would have continued till morning if we had allowed it.  As a bonus, the storms cooled our temperatures right down and they only climbed to 90 today..

Ah summer, I'm so glad that you are here!
Grace and Peace

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Looks like you all had a lot of fun - maybe I need to try and visit for Independance Day one year although I don't think I would cope with the heat very well. When you are used to July temperatures of 60 degrees if you are lucky over 100 would be a shock to the system!

Becky said...

I wore the exact same outfit for 4th of July...of course, mine was all maternity clothing, but the same thing exactly!!!

Art Teacher's Mom said...

I love the pictures of the parade and the children...especially Maggie's curls. I did see the picture of Becky and wondered if she purchased her outfit from the same store. Funnny!

Erin said...

wait, why is maggie so huge? i mean she's like a big girl and i just don't like this. i so want to see you! SO.