Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween In A Hot Minute

Dear Maggie,

I am sorry that for your first Halloween I did not take any good pictures of you by yourself.  We will pretend that the these pictures of you are from your first Halloween.

Love, Mommy
Photobucket
True to form we have been super busy lately.  When the day before Halloween arrived and I realized that we hadn't taken the girls to the pumpkin patch yet, I insisted that we stop despite our already jam packed day.  There were no hayrides, there was no deliberating over which pumpkins were the perfect ones for our front porch.  It was basically throw the girls down in a heap of pumpkins, jump up and down to get them to smile for a photo op, then throw them back in the car to get to the next event in time.
Photobucket
The same was true for Halloween Day. We were having friends over so I was busy most of the day preparing for that. About half past nap time I decided it would be good for Kev and I to do costumes as well as the kids (b/c I had time for this...really.  These are the moments when in reflection, truly make me believe  there is a real possibility that I have a few screws loose in the old noggin'). After a little Googling I found 2 simple costumes that I could easily through together with supplies from the dollar store.
Photobucket
Let me spare you the trouble of trying to figure out what we are based on our pants and shoes. Kev is a "Smartie" pants and I am gold digger, not in real life, just on Halloween.  I hot glued "smarties" to Kev's best jeans.  Seriously, they were his favorites.  In my defense, let me just say that they were at the bottom of the stack and they were Wranglers!  How is that I didn't know that my British husband wore Wranglers and if he loves them so much what were they doing at the bottom of a stack of about 6 other pairs?  Anywho, a hot iron and some wax paper ought to take the glue out...I think.?  I bought him a pair of $1 reading glasses and made him faux suspenders from ribbon. Voila, Smartie pants.  For my costume, I pulled a gold sweater out of my drawer, sprayed one of the girls sand shovels and a pair of old heals gold, dowsed myself in gold Christmas decorations, then added gold sheen to my hair and face...
Lots of gold + a shovel = gold digger.
Photobucket
After all that rushing around and last minute planning, as soon as the guests arrived and we sat down in the driveway to eat soup and wait for the trick or treater's, it started to rain. Before I knew it, everyone was in our house and the children were restless. Our poor little ones never even got to knock on a door, let alone speak the phrase "trick or treat." B/c the daddies are good sports and lots of fun, they all grabbed a bowl of candy and picked a room in our up stairs so that the little ones could fulfill their Halloween hopes of getting a bucket load of candy..
Photobucket
They knock on our bedroom doors and giggled when the Daddy's would open it up and hand them a Kit-Kat...
Next year, I'm going to plan better, and make our costumes the day before Halloween instead the actual day itself.
Until then, happy hauntings!
Grace and Peace

3 comments:

Sandra said...

The costumes all look great - I think Kevin should just continue to wear his jeans with the smarties attached!

Andrea said...

Aah I LOVE your costumes- so cute- GREAT pics!!!!!

Jenn said...

Car,

You look beautiful in gold and Kevin looks so "smart" in his glasses...love your home-made costumes. The girls look absolutely adorable (and I think Maggie will forgive you!!!).
Love,
Jenn