Wednesday, November 2, 2011

1+1=Indecision

You may not know this about me, but I have a real anxiety issue about sending my girls to pre-school, or any school for that matter.  The reasons make a lot of sense in my head, but when I try to explain them to others they just come out muddled and senseless.
Photobucket
Here are some of them (these are just scratching the surface though)....judge me if you will, just not too harshly.  I'm sensitive.
Photobucket

#1.  They are going to be in school for basically the rest of their lives, why rush it?
Photobucket

#2.  Picking a school (even a pre-school) is going to start shaping their world view...this is a big deal to me.  I want them to view the world from Christ's vantage point.  Even the smallest untruth could plant a seed of doubt that could grow into a view of the world that is contrary to the real TRUTH....trust me I know about this first hand.
Photobucket

#3.  I'm not ready yet..I know it's not about me, but I'm being honest.  Until they leave for college, school is going to get like 50% of their time or more....can't I steal these precious early days as long as can?
Photobucket

Which leads me to #4. I was teacher.  Is it possible that I can teach them myself?
Now don't jump to any conclusions.  I know that great and wonderful things will come from my girls starting school.  I know there would be benefits to sending Libby right now.  I know these things.  I've heard all the pros, and I agree with many of them, but still, there is the anxiety that is telling me that for us, it is not time yet.  Occasionally, I opt for listening to my intuition.
Back to #4...I have been exploring and trying out teaching Libs some pre-school stuff myself.
It has been really fun and has made me be more deliberate about the time I spend with her.
Photobucket

I'd love to hear your feed back on this.
It might add to my indecision.
It might make me feel guilty.
It might make feel like I'm stifling her education.
Okay, I was just kidding, no feedback.
Unless you want to.
But don't yell at me...
See what I mean. 
Indecisive.
Photobucket
Grace and Peace

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Home pre-school looks like a lot of fun!
I know you will make the decision to send Libby to pre-school when the time is right for both of you and untill then you shouldn't worry about what other people think you should do about it!

Letha said...

For what it's worth, I whole- heartedly agree with Sandra's comment. I also agree with many if not all of your reasons for not sending your girls to pre-school. You are a good momma - God will lead you as you continue to follow Him. BTW, I love your blog!

Erin said...

I agree with the two above! You have to do it WHEN and IF you are ready. And IF you are not, then you are fully capable of home-schooling. But I know, being a teacher, you know the benefits of learning in groups and you know Libby's personality would lend well to being with others (and probably having some structure). You are a great Mommy - and WOW you make me look AWFUL - I haven't done ONE of those activities you have made with Hope (ok, maybe one, but one.) I am way impressed. SO I won't be judging you, I will be huddling in the corner in shame b/c I don't have pre school time here at home (and she only goes one day for 4 hours... that doesn't totally count.) I need to GET ON IT! Love you, girlfriend!

Amanda said...

We are going to home school, and the reasons are many. Basically you just need to pray about it and do what you need to do, no guilt attached! You're going to get sideways glances or whatever no matter what you do.

As for socialization, the children I know who have been home schooled are by far more equipped for socializing in appropriate ways. They spend more time with a variety of ages (like real life, not in institutionalized schools), and spend time learning great things, not half the day practicing how to line up, how to raise their hand, how to deal with the bullies, how to sit down at lunch and actually eat it in the 15 minutes allotted to them...etc.

Anyway....home schooling to me just makes sense. It seems more natural. But no matter what, do what you need to do. No guilt!

Amy White said...

Love Libby doing her school stuff. So much fun!!! Brings back a lot of fun memories of my time with little Sidney and Allison. You know how I feel about homeschooling. It is something I could have never imagined doing especially after being a teacher, and now it is something that I could not imagine not doing. What a privilege!!! I agree with your friend Amanda...pray about it...just take it one year at a time. Obviously starting with 3 & 4 year-old pre-school you are not going to ruin her. :) You and Kev will know what is best for your family.