Monday, September 13, 2010

The Eagle Has Landed


I'm pretty sure that I forgot to mention that we would be taking the big trip to the mother land this year...you can read all about last year's trip if you click on September 09....
Let me sum things up, since this is the third time today that I have sat down to type.
We left Friday night at 9:00, that's one hour past the Little's bed time.
The lights on the plane stayed fully lit until every last passenger had finished their after- dinner- coffee, which meant that Libs didn't fall asleep until...maybe 2 hours over the Atlantic Ocean.  This was right after she started crying and said "all done pane Mama."
She and her Dad did finally fall asleep. I did not.  I kept having this feeling that she was going to fall out of her seat and start screaming again, and given the fact that you get dirty looks from other travelers just for bringing a toddler on the plane, I was terrified of giving them more fuel for their fiery looks.
7 hours later our plane skidded to a halt outside Heathrow's terminal 5, where we found a happy- teared Grandma waiting for us.
We spent a night with the Greats(short for Great Grandma and Great Grandad according to the Little) in London....  Look at her picture with  them, aren't they all delightfully English, even the one that is part me, and look how her hair matches her Daddy's beard when we come here!
Yesterday afternoon we stuffed our rental car full and headed down to our favorite place on Earth.
Ah... Bude...you make me feel peaceful and happy.

We slept until 10:30 today, tucked under thick covers, with our windows open, until we heard the sea gulls telling us it was time to get up.  Around mid day we walked down to the beach cafe, so that I could have one of the best mocha's on the planet.
After that we walked into town to meet Grandma when she got off work.  Before heading home we stopped for a Cornish Pasty.
Hallelujah!
Let me just pause here and explain what a pasty is (there were some people on facebook who were questioning my spelling b/c they thought I meant pastry).  A pasty (pa-stee)is like a giant turnover, but instead of being filled with some kind of fruit, it is traditionally filled with meat and veg, in a sort of rich gravy sauce..Are your mouths watering yet?  I'm really not a traditional girl, so today I had one filled with cheese, onions,  and potatoes.
Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mm, mm, mmm.
There was more to today, but I just might leave that for a tomorrow post.  I don't want to down play my pasty experience.
These last two pics of the Little and her Dad make me happy...my two loves, in the place that he loves, with an obvious sea breeze, and fishing boats in the background.  I bet you're smiling now too!
And just so you know, look closely at the picture below...See the grassy hillside and rocky cliff in the background?  A girl I know was proposed to there, on a sunny day in June, after a picnic lunch, quite a few years ago now.  As you can imagine, given a scene like that, I'm sure that she said yes! :)
Until tomorrow then,  here's to lunch you can eat with your hands....it was really, really good!
Grace and peace friends
xxx

5 comments:

Laura said...

wish I was there too... all bundled up, instead it is like 150 degrees here.

Miss you!

Erin said...

Loved this. Lib looks totally English in these pics - I think being there brings it out of her. I loved seeing them - it looks wonderful there - and the scenery is breathtaking. Here's hoping you sleep til 10:30 tomorrow and eat 2 pasties! As for me, it's 8:30 pm and I am in bed. I am wild. Love and Miss you!

TeamWhitehead06 said...

This post made me so happy for some reason! You guys look like you are having a blast! Libby looks so cute in the pic with the blue hat and the denim dress! Next time you go to England... I'm coming. Cool?

Amanda said...

Libby is so adorable. I love that blue hat and overalls outfit. She does look delightfully English, too! I totally shoulda married an English guy. I don't think John would ever, ever go for a dinner or lunch of pasties. LOL

Lisa A said...

I forgot to mention in my last comment that I am very jealous that you are at the beach, in Florida-like winter clothes, in September, in Bude! :)