Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Great Camp Out

Let me make one thing very clear before I write anything else.  I love the outdoors.  Given the option of walking or driving, I would choose walking, within reason of course.  Eat inside or out, let's eat outside.  Go to the mall, or go to the park, go to the park every time.
Let me catch you up to speed...our good friends planned a camping trip and invited a large group of us to join them.  Sure, I said to Kev, it will be a fun experience for Libby, let's go.  As the weekend for the trip approached I could feel my apprehensions growing.  Libby had been fighting a nasty cough and cold, plus I wasn't feeling 100% myself, and all of our weekends in May were quickly disappearing, My reasons for not going were mounting, but I stuck it out.  Saturday morning we loaded the car with everything but the kitchen sink for our overnight trip and hit the road.
When we arrived, about an hour south of where we live, we were greeted by our friends, temperatures that sailed past 90 degrees, and little black bugs that covered our clothes like we were the first human flesh they had ever seen.
Don't  misunderstand me, the company of good friends in the great outdoors was lovely, but every time my eyes met Kev's I pleaded with him to take me home.  We visited, picked bugs off each other, wiped the runny noses of each others babies, and played corn hole.  We spent the evening hours enjoying a scrumptious outdoor cooked meal.  Then sent the few wise families home to their beds, while the rest hunkered down for the night.
This is where it got fun...I don't know the exact times so I'm going to make it up, to make the post more interesting...
9:45- Libby is screaming hysterically so I realize it's time to take her to the tent for bed
10:30- Kev and Gus come to bed (did I mention we had the dog with us too?  Cause it wasn't interesting enough with out him) Libby is still screaming hysterically  and sweating profusely so we strip her down to her diaper and she collapsed in a heated mess on my chest and fell asleep...I did not fall asleep...I just laid there I thought about my bed and wished I had caught a ride home with the Mason's...our smart friends that left after the food got put away.
12:00-  Still awake and I have to go to the bathroom.  Remembering the wolf spider the size of my face that lived in the ladies restroom,  I decide to go behind our car.  I made Kev and Gus come out with me, we crawled back in the tent put Libby's pj's back on her and put her in her pack n play.
1:30- The Little wakes up coughing and crying uncontrollably...it was great really, Gus howled, and she got back on the air mattress with us.
2:00- Large clap of thunder and a flash of light and it started to pour.  The temperature drops and Kev asked me where the extra blanket was...Turns out it was in the car, so I gave him Libby's little square blanket and a towel, and we try to get some sleep.
Let's say 3:00 am- Kev goes to the car to get the blanket, covers us all up, we snuggle down, and it starts to rain again...pour is more like it.
Sometime after this we finally fell asleep.  I woke up the next morning to find that Kev and I were sharing a small sliver of the air mattress and Libby was sound asleep in a star formation on the rest.   I also had the distinct feeling that  something was nibbling on the the back of my leg...Seriously, I'm not making this up.
I had had Kev check it out, only to find that it was a TICK!!!!  Ahhh, I talked about how scared I was of ticks the entire day before and there one was taking a bite out of my leg.
Let me wrap this very long story up, when I change my clothes I found another one my leg, and 5 more when we got home.  When I change Libby's diaper, I found one on her, in her diaper area!!!!!  Ahhhh!  Kev found one on his stomach and poor Gus had them all over his paws.
This my friends, is why I have decided I am a deluxe cabin kind of girl. The "I'll hike with you all day, but I want my own shower, not shared with a prehistoric size arachnid" kind of girl.  The "let's have a cook out in the woods, but I'm going up to the lodge to sleep in a real bed" kind of girl.  The kind of girl that would prefer to not find 7 ticks in her pants and one attached to her baby and husband or to have to spend the better part of any evening picking through the hair of an Old English Sheepdog with a pair a tweezers hoping that we finally got  the last one.
Happy camping friends, if you need me I'll be soaking in the jacuzzi at my delux cabin, that will be surround by a tick proof bubble.
Grace and peace

12 comments:

Laura said...

oh dear... The thought of you chosing the outside as a restroom rather than the real restroom due to the spider inside, makes me chuckle.

Jill said...

Question: If it was so hot, why is the Libster in a GAP fleece hoodie?

Question #2: (More of a statement) I bet the ticks got in your pants when using the "facilities" outside.

Remark #3: I can't wait to see you guys this weekend.

Beth K said...

Carly, you are way too funny! I'd feel more sympathy for you if I hadn't been there myself (for two nights, mind you) and I don't think it was nearly as bad as you're making it out to be ;D

Josh and Aiden each had a tick on them, but we plucked them off and sent them merrily on their way! Aiden keeps asking when we can go camping again!

I love the pic of Aiden and Libby that you have! I can still hear her little squeal - "Ayyyy-den! Ayyyy-den!"

Hope your next camping, um cabin, experience is a better one!

Joan S. said...

Carly,
You are hysterical!!

Sorry it wasn't a great experience for you. FYI they do have cabins at that park and I think Lake Anna does also. So if you are up to trying again in the fall you could rent one of those, although I do think they are rather rustic and not the deluxe type you are envisioning. :-)

John said...

LOL thanks for this Carly, because I was starting to wish we could go camping soon with Maryn. Scratch that idea!

Melanie said...

oh my word
i am so sorry
come camping at woodsmoke
no ticks
i promise

Erin said...

oh carly... i am totally cracking up laughing. just had to read it to dan. only b/c i can relate... only, we didn't even have hope with us... and i made dan pack up the ENTIRE campsite at 11:30 pm to drive 3 hours home. I am SOOO with you. also wondering why the libs has on the fleece sweatshirt in the 90 degree temp. ha! ohhh so sorry you had to deal witha ll of this - but, makin' memories my friend, makin' memories. i'll call tomorrow.

The VA Masons said...

I've been waiting for this post... it didn't let me down! ha

Art Teacher said...

I hope everyone comes back to read comments!!!!
Laur- You know how I am with spiders
Jill and Erin- the pics were taken the following the morning after the rain had cooled everything off, remember we needed the blanket
Beth- Ahhhh, yes it was that bad! I actually went to the Dr. today to make sure I didn't contract Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever, or Lyme D., or something else transferred to humans by ticks. I have welts all over my legs where I got bit...it's not nice, it's not anything to worry about either according to the Dr. I have been sick all week, probably the cold that Libby had, but the symptoms were the same as the tick diseases on the internet
Joan and Beth- Despite the ticks, spiders, crying baby, and hammering rain, the company was well worth it and I would be happy to try again, in a cabin, in the fall!
Amanda- anything I can do to help!
Erin- I could have just set the tent up in the back yard and made a memory????? Was it worth it? At least I got a funny blog post about it
Masons- you can be my wittiness that it was as bad as I claimed! However, if you want a different account of the weekend my friend Beth K wrote her version of the camping trip and it is much more pleasant, and comical to me that we were at the same place! :)

Lisa A said...

This was too funny. I wish after it rained in Florida during the summer (all summer) it would get cold enough for a fleece gap sweater! :) I love the first picture of the Mommy and Daddy chairs with the bright pink Libby chair next to them. :)

Jill said...

Alright Dar, peal yourself off of the couch and update this blog. Also, please email me the pictures from Sunday. Esp. the ones when Libs is wearing my sunglasses. "Ha beeeeeeeb"

Erika said...

oh yes this is why I DONT camp at all! and ticks know where to go they keep crawling until they find a dark 'side' prefereably the folds in the skin elbows, underarms, private area etc!