Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wild Thing

Dear Laura,  Thank you for reading "Where The Wild Things Are" to me at Barnes and Noble a long time ago.  Thank you also for giving Libby your copy.  The pages are well worn through.  It was her favorite, even before they made a movie about it.  Love ya, Car
I read the Little that book most nights and have done since she was really small.  When I do, I always wonder when she'll grow tired of book about a boy and monsters.  I keep waiting for her to prefer something about princesses that is pink from cover to cover.


She is delightfully feminine most of the time, comforting her babies, as she drags them through the back yard by their hair. She grins from ear to ear when I buy her a new dress and puts it on right away. Every morning when I fix my make- up and hair and top it off with a spritz of vanilla bean body splash, she earnestly asks me to apply her lip gloss, and "spraa."
 There is this side of her though, that lets her sandy blond hair hang down in her eyes and guarantees that there will always be dirt on her face and most likely on that new dress.  It's the part of her that sneaks out the back door  in her bare feet when I'm not looking, only to find her sitting on the bottom step of the porch examining a bug.  It's the part of her that always picks up sticks on a nature walk and squeals when she sees a bird fly over head.  The part of her that climbs up as high as she can, when ever she can, on whatever she can...my very own wild thing.

I think I love that about her, even more than the fact that she wants to wear my lip gloss.  That little glimmer in her eye that makes me think, "Oh please don't go, I'll eat you up, I love you so"
Here's to the Wild Thing in all of us.  I hope that you embrace it, for Wild Things make life more interesting, the howl at the moon, they make the water rough, they always have dirt on their face...
Grace and Peace

9 comments:

Beth K said...

Gorgeous pictures, Carly!

Art Teacher said...

Ha! that's probably because I only took one of them. Kev too the rest...he is pretty patient and uses manual focus...I am impatient and take 1 million at a time on auto!

Lisa A said...

Sounds like we take pictures the same way Carly! haha. I do love these pictures, and I really think she is looking more like you!

Erin said...

I love these - why does she look like she's 19 though? I mean seriously... she looks so old. I want to eat her up. I love this post. It made me cry... geez... everything makes me cry. :)

Laura said...

Dear Sweet Libs,

I am so glad that you love that book as much as I do...

Love you!

Jill said...

I can't wait until you start painting her little nails. That'll be her new favorite thing.

P.S. It's time for a video missy!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!! Come down and take some picture of Harrison please, I am out of motivation and creativity. I got your call. I will call you! Promise :)

Sandra said...

I agree with Jill - the pictures are great whoever takes them but a video clip is definitely better!

Amy White said...

She is a beautiful little girl!!! Love her in her pretty, pretty dress & her dirty, little feet! :)