Friday, August 8, 2008

Same Kind Of Different As Me



I was in baby book overload this week after:
a. Checking 3 books out from the library on getting your new born to sleep through the night the moment they emerge from the womb,
b. Reading a book forced on me by my midwife, written by a hippie midwife who to this day practices on a commune in Tennessee
c. Being told by my birthing class instructor I need to read 2 more. One on birthing naturally and the other on "the partner," and
d. skimming a book that was given to me called "Marvelous Motherhood" that dealt with everything from breastfeeding, sleeping babies, and getting your body back after giving birth.
All this after regularly referencing my What To Expect book and finishing Christ Centered Child Birth. Have I ever mentioned that I can be slightly obsessive about something when I think about it too much?
Anyway, I was getting really stressed over it, between the wealth of knowledge I am gaining from reading all these books and hearing all the information that strangers tend to give you when you're pregnant. I needed a break from feeling inadequate in motherhood. So while I was in a Family Christian Bookstore the other day, a particular book cover caught my eye.
*I tend to always "judge books by there covers"- Literally, when choosing books to read if the cover is dull and uninteresting I judge it as a dull book and most likely wont read it. Bad habit I know, but it generally holds out to work.
Anywho, this book caught my eye so picked it up read the back cover and it dealt slightly with art so I thought this was my kind of book. I started reading at lunch that day and couldn't put it down until today when I finished it. The book is called "Same Kind Of Different As Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. It was a great book about friendship, trials, love, heartbreak, and the will of God. It was probably the best book I have read all year. I highly recommend it. It will change the way you view strangers and help you see others through the filter that Jesus sees all of us.
"For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love."
Galatians 5:13

3 comments:

Melanie said...

wow you are a maniac.
It will all work out when Lib is in your arms. No need to stress! Babies will sleep when they are adequately fed. That should be your first priority.

Erin said...

This books sounds really interesting to me. I"ll add it to my list. Man, I have barely finished BabyWise (meaning I haven't yet) - you are reading everything. It just overwhelms me - and makes my head spin - I"ll just do what they tell me to do when she comes. :) HA! :) Want to hear about birth classes. Have been with my mom all weekend. I"ll give you a ring tomorrow night or MOnday- my shower is tomorrow. :)

Erin said...

of course i'll call you monday - birthday girl!