Friday, July 11, 2008

The Naked Who????

Jamie Oliver is an English Chef who used who used to have a show called the Naked Chef. He also has several restaurants. One is called 15 Cornwall and we ate there a couple of years ago and it was so good! Now he has a show called Jamie at Home. I love it, it's very natural and earthy and I wish I had a garden like he does! Last Saturday he made rice pudding with home made strawberry jam. Ever since then Kevin has been asking me to make some. Here's how I did it, not exactly like Jamie, but kinda. I made it up based on a bunch of different rice pudding recipes.
1 cup of white rice
3 cups milk(I ran out of milk so I added vanilla cream, but still don't think I added enough)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

I cooked the rice normally in water with butter and salt. Then I boiled the other ingredients together and dumped in the rice, brought all of that to a slow boil and put it in an casserole dish. Then I baked it in the oven with tin foil over it for about 45 min. After about 30 minutes I stirred it then put it back in for the remaining time. It turned out dryer then we wanted but I think that was due to the missing milk. Here's the best part, I made Jaime's version of homemade strawberry jam....so delicious. After I took the rice pudding out of the oven I smeared it with the jam! Scrummy!
2 quarts of a strawberries cut into pieces
1/2 cup of sugar

Scrunch the berries in your hands with the sugar, then place in a small pot and boil for 20-30mins skimming the foam off of the top about every 5 mins.

Kev said this looks like boiling brains, sometimes he is such a boy!

Finished product!

Even though it was dryer then we wanted it was still tasty....it would be good in the winter, but then the strawberries wouldn't taste as good!

3 comments:

Laura said...

It is funny because in the last pic it looks a little like eggplant parm... either would be delicious. Wish I was with you to try some!

Erin said...

Mmm...you are so domesticated! I need to take a hint from you! :)

Erin said...

Totally playing that Libby Lou Who Who will turn around - don't be breach girl!!!! Let's chat really soon. So glad you had your midwife appointment. We have an appointment this upcoming Monday! :)