Thursday, June 26, 2008

Does Anyone Really Live In Florida?

We've been in our new house for 4 days now. The last two I have been flying solo, since Kev started his new job. Both days in the afternoon I have ventured out so that I can start to learn my way around the new area. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and today I went to a shopping center that had all the important shops, you know like Petsmart, Michael's, Pier 1, Barnes and Noble, plus some delicious chain restaurants. As I was taking in my new surroundings, waiting for my Grande, Iced, Vanilla, 1/2 non fat, 1/2 breve, decaf, latte, I started thinking about how much I liked going out to places like this in FL. I loved going to Gulf Coast Town Center or Coconut Point to wait for a nice dinner out at say Ted Montana's or PF Cheng's. Here's the thing, until today I never truly realized the people who were there waiting for dinner with me were mostly people on vacation. When you people watch in these places, you always see 4somes of 50-60 somethings waiting for their tables, holding there glass of Pinot Grigio, wearing their brand new crisp vacation clothes, and their freshly acquired Florida tan either from pool, beach, or golf coarse. Here no one looks like they're vacation, they just look like they live here. Don't get me wrong, no one looked liked this is some kind of decrepit area, but no one had that "I'm on vacation in the sunshine state" look. It made me a little sad though, and I realized that I would miss those vacationers and there perfectly coiffed hair, freshly painted French pedi's, crisp white capri pants, and watermelon colored tops plus the satisfaction of knowing that when the season was over they would go home and I was a local girl who got to stay in the place where everyone else vacations!

4 comments:

Erin said...

You're so insightful! I love it :) I wish we could hang out. :( But alas, you are too far away. Boo hoo hoo! Soon it will be time for Libby Lou!

Art Teacher said...

Erin is a poet!

Anonymous said...

Being a true Neapolitan (not the ice cream but someone born IN Naples) I would like to say there is satisfaction to sit and watch the touristas and laugh. My favorite place to do this is at Vanderbilt beach as I walk pass the Ritz Carlton Beach Resort. They are most always embellished with big hats, big sunglasses and big beach bags trying to soak it all in while a group of rowdy "locals" play horseshoes right next to them and drink too much beer. (I don't participate with this group although they most always appear to be having more fun than the people at the Ritz). The good part is now Car, you can come back in your crisp white capris, French pedi and eat at PF Changs while you are on Vacation-if you want!!!

Laura said...

This post made me sad. I miss you.