Monday, October 22, 2012

Her Cheerleader, Her Critic

*This post is two weeks old...things have turned around a bit, for the better.
This week at gymnastics I was sitting on the edge of  the big trampoline cheering as loud as I could for Libby as she jump without hesitation almost accomplishing her seat drop.  The first couple weeks of gymnastics she barely tiptoed onto the trampoline.  She told me later she was afraid of it b/c she couldn't see what was underneath it.  So as she jumped on Friday with real air underneath her feet...I  beamed with pride.  



It is no different when she writes a perfect "E," or when Maggie matches the red button to the red cup, or when she finally rides the merry-go-round without crying,  with a "Mama look at me" grin. It's part of my job...The part of my job description that says "when your kid does something new, you cheer and you cheer loudly."
I want them to know everyday that I think that they are amazing.
However, there are times when cheering for them becomes somewhat harder to do.  So, allow me, to take this moment to give you one to many examples of moments this week when cheering for them was the furthest thing from my mind.
1.  When I went to get them up from afternoon naps and found the big sister dowsing the  little sister  and her room in baby powder.


2.  When big sister drew all over the kitchen table because it was "fun"
3.  When I found a pile of freshly cut Cinderella hair in the play room
4.  When I let them go upstairs with out me for bath time and big sister dumped a whole bottle of shampoo in the tub with the water (fyi, I was about 2.5 seconds behind them, when I say "with out me" I mean I didn't hold their hands up the stairs)
Somewhere in that list is a teachable moment that I must have missed, because of what happened yesterday.
I'll spare you the details of this story and tell you that after hiding from me for several minutes I found my big girl playing in the playroom with a set freshly cut bangs.  Crooked bangs.

 Ho-hum.  Back to today.  When I started this post 2 weeks ago I think I had a lot more to say.  All I can think now is when I look at her I realize that the self inflicted hair cut has made her look so much older.  I keep starring in her face searching for my baby and all I see is a little girl...Not even a toddler anymore a real little girl who is very good at testing her boundaries, but is also incredibly amazing.

Grace and Peace and sorry for the lack of posts.
xoxo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe she's been reading all the fashion magazines about bangs for fall...just finding the humor in it! Oh, it could have looked much worse :) ...love you Sister!

Art Teacher's Mom said...

The final photo of Libby is adorable. I'm just trying to figure who she looks like.:)
She may be displaying her creative side in some of those instances you mention. After all, both parents are creative. BTW...Maggie's blue eyes are amazing. Love all the photos & thanks for posting them.

Sandra said...

So pleased to have new photos - I love Libby's new hair style.

They are both growing up so fast and are definitely not your babies anymore.

Diane said...

All caught up on the adventures of Libby and Maggie...they are so cute! Miss you all.

Erin said...

Love that last picture of Libs. I agree with your sister, it could look MUCH worse. I think she looks adorable!!!!!They are just dolls, Car!