Wednesday, August 29, 2012

California Dreamin'


This past Thursday morning, I heard my Little quietly walk into the bathroom and make a noise that every mother dreads hearing.  At least she had sense enough to walk to the bathroom and politely make her deposit into a trash can, a pretty big thing for an almost four year old.  The stomach bug has been rearing its ugly head among our circle of friends so I guess it was only a matter of time before someone in our family contracted it.

The only part that made me nervous about it was that Saturday we were headed to California with my mom to visit my sister.  Foolishly, when we made these plans I thought to myself, "self, we flew to England surely we can make a easy flight across the country to California."  Hey self, in case you were wondering California is basically as far away as the mother land.

 Anyway, back to the sickness.  I carefully disinfected everything in my house, only kissed Libs on the back of the head and prayed that if anyone else would get it, we would get it on Friday and not on Saturday when our journey was starting.

Saturday morning as we were headed for the airport I looked at my mom and said..."hmmmm, I just don't feel quite right."  I ignored it and blamed it on nerves.  Half-way through the flight, I knew it wasn't nerves.  I knew I was going to be sick and the line at the airplane bathroom wasn't going to disappear fast enough, so I asked Babette to hand me one of those handy little in flight sick bags.  It was great.

Then we had a lay-over in Las Vegas, the hottest airport on the planet.  I could feel my body telling me that I wasn't over the sick hump, but we still had to get to California.  So one more time up in the air, and yes, one more time sick in the plane and we finally made it to Burbank.

Thank the Lord.  Thank the Lord for my mom who managed my kids for me because all I could do was hold my head...and there was a lot of managing that had to be done.  Maggie Bell is terrified of flying or just of taking off?  I don't know, but on top of my sickness, there was a lot of screaming.  It was a rough day.


  We are are on this side of it now and I'm glad.  We are loving California and having a great time with the cousins and my lovely sister.

Mom got sick yesterday.  I'm praying that no one else gets it...especially anyone who has to fly back across the country on Saturday:)
If I get a chance to post again soon, we had an epic beach day yesterday.  New favorite place, Carpenteria, CA.  Gorgeous.
Grace and Peace.
xxx

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Good to see you haven't quit the blog!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and have a less stressful trip back.

Andrea said...

Ugh that's awful!! You put it so perfectly that "that" sound is the one every mother dreads. Hope you have a fun trip and no one else gets sick!

Erin said...

oh girl. so so so sorry! i know from first hand experience that it's AWFUL to get sick in those bags! awful!! hope you are ALL doing better! so glad you go to go with your mom and the girls!