Thursday, June 21, 2012

Top 10


As previously mentioned, I am still suffering from the being back at home blues.  In fact as we speak I am watching Doc Martin, an English mini series that is filmed in Cornwall.

I've been drinking more tea and every night I flick through our 800 or so pictures from our trip and try to convince myself to write something on the this blog that is a bit more interesting than ......it is just so beautiful.

 Really though, it is just so beautiful, that everything else seems so ordinary.

So to remind myself that it is good to be home I have come up with my top ten reasons why we're glad to be back the good ole US
#1.  Free refills.  In the US if you're drinking iced tea, coke, or water your waiter is sure to keep  your cup over flowing.


#2.  Our local Mexican restaurant.  They almost know our names.  Our children love quesadillas.  Plus, if we could all remember to order just water to drink we could eat there as a family of four for under  $20.

#3.  Gus and Trouble.  It is true that sometimes they make me feel like we live in a zoo. Currently, Gus smells worse than your average dog, and Trouble brings dead animals to me as presents on a daily basis.  Still, they are our pets, and we missed them.


#4.  Flavored coffee creamer.  I've never seen it on the shelves in England and while most good people in England can serve up a lovely hot drink whether it be tea or coffee, in this house we like vanilla creamer in coffee.  It is comforting to us both.


#5.  The price of gas.  Gas is always an issue.  It's up, it's down, it will never be as low as it was the first time I filled up my turquoise Chevy Cavalier in 1997, but it will always be lower than the cost of British petrol. 

#6.  Sleeping in our own room free from wiggly girls.  Really that is enough said, but Maggie pretended she was a newborn while we were in England.  Some nights she tried to sleep with me all night and then other nights both girls wanted to sleep with me. By "with me," I mean on me, not touching Kev at all.  
That was fun.  
Welcome back sleep.


#7.  While I'm talking about sleep, our bed.  We slept in some really comfortable beds while we were in England, but Kev and I have an extremely cozy bed.  It is always good to crawl back into our bed.




#8.  We missed our friends, all two of them that are left in Richmond.  All of friends keep moving away from Richmond.  We have good friends in England.  They are all easy company.  This is supposed to be a reason why we are glad to be home though.



#9.  It is summertime here.  It is summertime in England also, but unlike England in Richmond we can almost always be sure that we will have summer like temperatures.  In England you just hod your breath and hope that clouds will part long enough to call it a partially sunny day.



#10.  Home sweet home.  There is nothing of real value in our home(besides the fact that it is our home), if it gets broken by curious little hands the chances are it can be replaced or it does not have a need to be replaced.  In England, I never really sat still while visiting.  I was sure that at any given moment calamity would strike and something of great importance would break.



There you have it, my top ten reasons why it is good to be back at our home.  Don't take them too seriously, because the truth is, it was better to be holiday with my family.  Best trip to UK yet.  I'm just trying to make myself feel better.
Grace and Peace

4 comments:

Trevor said...

Some great pics there Carly - luckily I rememberred my camera / the SD card / charged the battery that day...

Fond memories too!

Beth K said...

I am so glad that you are home. You were missed!

But let me just say that this post, overflowing with gorgeous pictures of the English countryside and shoreline, had me listing my top ten reasons for why I needed to hop on a plane to England right this second! So thanks for that! :)

Lisa said...

Love the pic of Libby in her sweater and long skirt. And you crack me up with your writing. Because i think its just how you talk! Wish you and Laura and I could rewind time and go have coffee! Good times. And for the record my first car was also a Chevy cavalier turquoise! And gas was 99€ a gallon first time I filled up!!!

Kim said...

Loved all the pictures and always enjoy reading your blog : ) I want to get my little girl one of those wet suits...where did you get them?