Friday, February 18, 2011

Golden Afternoon

Photobucket
When Kev is away and the girls are asleep, I listen to mournful country music...The kind that makes you think you should be sitting alone in a seedy bar, with something on the rocks in one hand, and your head resting in the other, while scary cowboys shoot pool behind you..
I don't know why I do this...
Anywho....
I was all set to abandon ship and head north to my parents when I found out he would be gone all week.  A turn of events and my ever improving mother's intuition (in my head while I type, mother's intuition is said with sarcasm and a deliberate roll of the eyes) convinced me that I needed to stay put and try to make it through on my own with my two little ladies.
Photobucket
So, I did it.
Well, actually I'm still doing it.  Making it on my own, that is.  It was going pretty well, until about 3:00 yesterday afternoon.  Things just started spiraling down hill in my head and in real life too.  The downward spiral landed me at the Dr's office early this morning, sure that my Littlest had a food allergy that was causing her to break out in rash.  The good news is the Doc doesn't think it's an allergy but she encouraged me to lay off nuts and dairy.
 Lovely.
 I eat cheese at every meal and in between meals too.
The bad news is both the Little and the Littlest cried the whole time we were there.
Photobucket
Libby tried to swipe the bouquet of pens on the receptionist desk and when I took them from her, right when the nurse was sweetly calling "Maggie, Maggie Jones," she threw herself on the floor and started yelling "NO, NO, NOOOOO, Don't pull my arm Mama!"
Meanwhile, Maggie was still crying.
Meanwhile, it was first thing this morning so the office was full of sick children and their parents.
As we exited the waiting area, to head back to the exam room I turned and curtsied to the crowd, and shuffled both screaming girls in so I could close the door asap. (in my head as I type I'm wondering if I should mention how much I was sweating at this point).
Photobucket
While the Doc examined Maggie, Libby cried  "that's my Maggie, Mommy get my Maggie," and when she wasn't crying she was trying to escape. This all happened before 9:30, and I couldn't stop at Starbucks on the way home, b/c I CAN'T HAVE DAIRY! (in my head while I type, this is said with passion, like I want someone out there to here me. I CAN'T HAVE DAIRY!)
I could tell you more real life, real Mommy moments from today, the list kind of goes on and on until bed time.  At one time I caught myself scolding Libby saying something like "Are you talking with a very nice voice right now," and I stopped myself mid-sentence and realized that I was the pot calling my little kettle black.
Photobucket
Nap time came and went  before we even had time to have it. In lieu of a nap, I spread a blanket out in a corner of our yard and let the warm sun kiss their faces till it set for the evening.  I'm glad I did this.  I've done it at some time every day this week.
 Fresh air makes babies happy.
 Fresh air makes this girl realize that even my hard days with them are a billion times better than any one day with out them. (in my head as I type, "hard" is a very relative term...like hard in comparison to a mom who has a live in nanny, not" hard" in comparison to mom's with little babies who are really sick, or world hunger, or war, or...you get what my head is saying )

Photobucket

And when the sun finally set, we came inside and called it a day.  A hard day that ended good.
Photobucket
Here's to Daddy's coming home.
(in my head, as I type, I realize how late it is, and decide it's time to wrap this ramble up)
Grace and Peace friends.
xoxo

6 comments:

Beth K said...

So sorry about your hard day! Please let us know if we can do anything for you before the mister comes home! Being a mommy of two very little ones is so hard, but I promise that it does get easier! At least on some days! PS- Soy mochas are really yummy! You should treat yourself to one! (Soy doesn't count as a nut, does it?)

Diane said...

So sorry you had a rough morning, hope your weekend gets better. I say head north...hang out with Becky & Jackson!

Andrea said...

Oh man we were at the doctor on Friday b/c I was convinced Hallie had an ear infection. I really needed a reason that she went from sleeping through the night to waking up 3 times a night the past week and a half. Sigh. I guess its just teething. Anyway there was a mom there who was not only dressed super cute herself with not one hair out of place but all three of her little girls looked like they just walked out of a magazine (hair, accessories and all) and two of them were sick. How?! Meanwhile we looked pretty rough in comparison- N's sweatpants roughly tucked into her fake Uggs did not help.
Also anyway I went through not eating dairy for 6 months then finally had him tested at one year and he was allergic to peanuts (and eggs and soy). Its annoying I know.

Amy White said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy White said...

I'm not sure how I missed this post the other day. The girls look absolutely adorable in the pics despite how they may have appeared in the dr's office. :) This may have been the same day that for me that we had some eventful happenings. 1.) When left with no pants on, Christian has learned how to take off his diaper and does so at a moment's notice. Of course as the girls are telling me he did it again, I found him sitting on my bed, on my side, on my fresh sheets, in a happy, little puddle. :) Back to the laundry room w/ $1.75...sigh. 2.) Then, at the grocery store...I left him in the cart with the girls by the berries so I could walk across the aisle for bananas...only to turn around and hear Sid calling for help because he had single-handedly swipe 2 cartons of blackberries. There were blackberries everywhere-on the floor, in our cart, and in his hand (which he was popping in his mouth at such a rapid speed). I got the one carton back on the display, and with my hand full of berries the nice produce man walked over and asked if I was going to buy those-NICE. I said yes I was since this little guy was already eating from the package. We moved around the corner so that I could find the rest of the blackberries floating around the bottom of our cart. Thankfully, the blackberries were not something like $6.99 for like 10 blackberries. :)And, needless to say, he very much enjoyed the rest of the pack over the weekend. Again, all this took place before lunch.:) Thought you might enjoy these little nuggets. :)

Lisa A said...

I just love the pictures of the girls looking into eachother's eyes. It's so neat that they are already building such a strong bond even at such a young age!