Monday, November 15, 2010

To Pieces

I've never made a quilt before.  I had no idea how long it would take me, or whether or not I had bitten off more than I could chew.  I just liked the idea of Libby pulling it out of a storage box one day when she's grown up, and remembering her childhood... Maybe I'll be the one that does that, but you know, I wanted it to be something really special.  (The original motivating factor was that I couldn't afford the one I liked at Pottery Barn, and then the whole home made quilt thing just sort of snow balled from there...Just in case you're wondering the price of this quilt, though it has been spread out over several months, in the end will exceed the price of the Pottery Barn quilt, but there you go!)

Well, my top is pretty much finished.  I did decide that I would add a border to make it hang nicer on the bed (can you here the cash register ringing at the quilting store?), then I have to cut my backing $$$, and batting  $$$, choose a quilter  $$$, wait 2-4 weeks, add the binding  $$$, and BAM, finished project.  Memories made!






Forget the cost.  The best, and maybe worst part has been watching her help me.  Every time I would lay the quilt pices out on the floor to check on the pattern or size, she would instantly crawl across the floor with me and start talking about the costume she was still making.  I would say, "honey, Mommy is trying to keep your blanket nice and flat," she would say, "Mommy, I make costume," and I would remind myself that, yes the seams I just pressed were now wrinkled, but she was learning something valuable....what that is I'm not sure b/c it didn't involve letters or numbers, or anything else she would learn at pre-school, but I'm sure making a quilt with your mother has some kind of value in it.

 Sometimes, I pack our schedule full of things to do.  Most of the time they are things that I think that she will enjoy as much as I will, but when it is all said and done, I am exhuasted and she is a two year old, if you know what I mean. 

Last week we had one of those days, and I decided we were not going to do anything else for the rest of the week.  We just stayed home and made her quilt together.  Everyday the sky was blue, the backdoor was open, and we just were us, and it was perfect. 
I don't know why I try to make motherhood so complicated sometimes.  When I go back and read my ever failing blog writing, my favorite days are the ones where we basically do nothing and are home together.

Here's to my little girl and her quilt...I love every piece of both of them, but probably her more!:)
Grace and Peace
xxx

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Amen. I make it so hard. Thanks for these words.

Trevor said...

That's brave with a big dog in the house!!! Gus will think it's a cool new bed for him?

Good effort Carly, looks great. But you'll have to make one for Maggie too - it's only fair.

Sandra said...

The quilt is looking good - how about Libby's costume?

Trevor is right - Maggie will want one too so you might have to start that soon because you will need it in about 2 years time!

Jan said...

Carly, I am so impressed with you... Libby's quilt will be lovely when it is finished.

You are so patient. I can't even handle it when I am sewing and someone is talking, let alone, rearranging the pieces for me.

Got your message the other night and tuned in to the show... it was a good distraction. As you know, things have been out of control here.
Love you and miss you!