Saturday, September 18, 2010

Coffee or Tea...Biscuit?

Have I ever mentioned that my husband is a great friend? 
He's made all sorts of friends from all different places, and not just from the UK from all over the world.   He really makes anb effort to let them know that even though he's far away from them now, they are still important to him.  When we're here he tries to see as many of them as he can, even if it's just for coffee.
Last night we did just that...left my Little with her biggest fan and drove 2 hours north to meet up with a couple of Kev's old friends.  It was amazing to me  how in just one room we had 5 countries represented.  So many differences, asking each other if we were using the correct term for things, which cheek to kiss in greeting and leaving; yet despite the differences the girls huddled around my belly to feel Maggie's little greeting to them just like any other girls I know and the men laughed and joked with ease. 
We lingered and talked over food and drinks for hours and made it home just in time for Libs to wake up and crawl in bed with us at 4:00 am!  I can't remember the last time I stayed out that late for social reasons...but it was good.
I'm not saying we're going to start this every Friday night, but I think that people here love to linger over food and drinks as long as it is done in the presence of friends.

No matter where we go here, or who we visit, we are are always offered tea, coffee, and biscuits (cookies to my fellow Americans)...We always accept, and it's always nice to linger over it...to enjoy the age old experience of just visiting with people.  I don't think we do that much in the States...at least I don't do that much in the States.  I offer my guests a drink when they come over, but it's rarely accepted, and never expected.  I don't think its expected here either, but I would say it is widely assumed that, "oh yes please, I would love a cup a tea, and I rarely turned down the offer a chocolate biscuit," is the general answer.  I rather like that about this place.
Here's to coffee and tea with friends...come to my house, we'll linger over a cup together.

Grace and peace
xxx
PS
Unfortunately, the pictures on this post  don't coincide with my story at all, but I hope you will enjoy both words and photos just the same...
We peaked on day two with pictures this trip and I'm afraid we've been slacking since.
I promise to make up for it tomorrow.


6 comments:

Amy White said...

Love the pics Sister! I want to have tea and a biscuit with you...hope you are having a wonderful time. It certainly sounds like it. Who did you get to visit with? Here's hoping you had an earlier bedtime tonight! :)

Jan said...

Hey, I just had a marvelous idea... how about the next time you go to England, I come along as the Nanny????
I think you will need someone to help entertaining the babies on the plane, and carrying all the luggage and changing diapers and ... well, whatever. That way you and Kev can just relax. It looks so lovely there, I would love to go! Just call me...

Beth K said...

When you come home, I'll come over and we'll have tea and biscuits! Hope you're having a wonderful trip! Miss you!

Erin said...

These are great pics! Love them all! I would love to sit, have tea and cookies, and chat! Wouldn't that be divine? Miss you and we will get to talk soon :)

Jill said...

I love how happy everyone is in every picture. And I want to hold that little dog.

Lisa A said...

Libby looks so English in the picture with that dog! So cute! I love the picture of you on the cliff! Gorgeous!