Monday, June 21, 2010

A Cat Bird and a Street Evangelist

This past Friday, the Little and I decided to to take Gus for a walk.  Libby insisted on walking and taking my Bible?  I let her take the Bible and walk to the end of our road.  You can imagine my surprise when I turned around to find that following close behind us, almost in a perfect line was our cat.
  
The nosy neighbor up the road, looked down her nose at us,
and said  "you know, there is a cat behind you."
I replied, "yes mam, I know, he is our cat, and he normally waits in your perfectly manicured flower beds while we walk to the park, but seeing as you are in his way I suppose he'll just have to come with us."
Then she said, "well I hope he doesn't get hit by a car,"
then I said, "and I hope he doesn't use your daisy border as a litter box"
...oaky, okay, I wasn't quite that direct, I said something much more polite like, "oh thank you mam, hopefully he'll run on home in a minute."

Anyway, he did not go home, and after trying to shove him in the basket of Libby's stroller unsuccessfully, I just let him follow us and told him that it was his own fault if he got hit by a car.
Turns out that cars were the least of his worries.  A nasty bird that lives on top a street lamp down the road, would not allow him passage.  Every time he tried to walk by she would dive bomb him like a fighter jet.
People were staring at us...and pointing out the obvious...like the nosy neighbor saying, "there is a cat behind you did you know? and he's being attacked by a bird"
In the end, we never made it to the park, we never even made it around the block.  We had to walk the traumatized cat home.  We tried to go a second time and he followed us again, and the bird came after him again.  This time we called it a day.  Trouble came inside  and slept the rest of the afternoon. 
I might just do the same today...
Grace and Peace

4 comments:

Erin said...

hilarious. those pictures of libby with the Bible are too much. I mean, those are priceless. here's hoping that you make it to the park tomorrow, my friend! we will be there soon!

Sandra said...

Libby is obviously getting into practice so she can follow in Babbette's footstepd on her next Missionary trip!
Love the photos - keep them coming.

Jill said...

#1. I love the Little.
#2. I love the dress and matching hat.
#3. I love her forever growing blonde locks.

Lisa A said...

Yay! I finally got my Libby fix! I was tempted to remind you I was waiting on it each time I came to realize there was nothing new. :) haha. I love her carrying your Bible to the park (well, almost to the park).