Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December 2: Posting


There are certain tasks that, as a person who "works" from home, I am responsible for. One of them is going to the post office. Just typing the words actually makes me twitch a bit. Such was the case yesterday when 4 items, that have been staring at me since we went to England, made there way to this trying establishment.
I had to mail one small package, and I had to buy a flat rate box to ship three books. Of course, I needed to buy packing tape to close the box, b/c goodness knows where I put the last roll I bought, the last time I shipped something. I feel like when I die and someone comes to my house to gather my belongings they will find hundreds of rolls of packing tape b/c every time I ship something I have to buy a new roll.
Anywho...so there I was balancing box, books, baby, and packing tape (which I forgot to mention double as a weapon) on one of those tables where the post office provides stacks of labels for this and that, all of which my Little destroyed in a matter of seconds. Right, I thought, Libby the destroyer needs to be on the floor so she can't throw the papers everywhere. However, on the floor she could reach the flat rate box display, which she reorganizd by tacking the boxes and displaying them on the floor. When I went to tell her "no-no" and put the boxes back one by one, she continued to take them down one-by-one. All this was happening as the line to post things grew to a snake like queue that twisted to the door.
People were staring, and one kind man even told his son to let me know she was missing a shoe..."yes sir, I know she missing a shoe, I took it off for fun to make this visit a little more chaotic. Thanks, anyway."
Forty-five minutes later, when we finally made it to the counter, Libby was reaching for the postmaster, pushing the buttons on the credit card machine, and waving at the people behind us, who I'm sure were laughing at this point. I dropped my purse on the floor and picked it up with my foot. After doing this I realized that if everyone wasn't staring already, they were now.
Packages...posted, finally.
When we walked out the to car the air was fresh and a Subaru drove by with a Christmas tree tied to the top their car. Somehow, that little scene made the whole trip worth while.
Here's hoping you have a Christmas tree on top your car kind of day!
Happy December 2nd.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I know you posted this just to use the term "snake like queue" :)
such a fun description, it might just show up in one of my posts someday
this post made me smile today
thanks

Erin said...

a) i am cracking up... not at you... but with you - because i just had a similar situation happen - only not at the post office.
b) i feel horrible b/c UM one of those packages was for me... and it was NOT small
c) i will pay you for the packing tape -- or send you some more. just what you need --more of it!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! I can just picture the whole adventure... sorry I wasn't there to help. I also hate trips to the post office and I don't have a 14 month old in tow. Have to head there today to send off some aprons and Christmas gifts.
Missing you and Libby and your sweet songs!
Jan Mc

Sandra said...

I'm sure most people in the snake-like queue were being entertained by Libby - it probably made their trip to the post office a more enjoyable experience. In fact they are probably posting blogs about that mother and toddler right now!
I have decided that, if you can post a blog every day during Advent, I can send a comment back on every one - atleast that is my plan.

Art Teacher said...

Mel, We aim to please! Glad we made you smile today!
Erin, the sad part is that I haven't actually mailed your package yet, which means we have to go back to the post office when I finish packing yours!
Jan, We miss you too!
Grandma, I love comments and look forward to one daily! :)