Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It Must Be Said....




....Happy Day Mom!

Today is my Mother's birthday, and I have to say these things that are on my heart, if I can articulate the words. If there are even words that are enough.
You see, I love my mom...okay that's really not as articulate as I wanted to be.
My mom loves me...that still is not quite right.
I've always known that she loves me, I just never knew how much until this year.
I catch myself, almost daily holding, no wait, smothering Libby, and in turn each day she pushes away from me, wanting to get down and play and I just want to hold her tighter.
This daily scene makes me wonder, if every time my Mom(affectionately know as Babette) sees me or my sister, does she want to throw herself on top of us and squeeze us till we pop?
It also makes me remember all the hundreds of times when I was, let's just say less then sweet, to her, and helps me understand how she was still able to love me back despite my ugliness.
When I'm rocking Libby to sleep and she looks oh so peaceful, I remember things like, when my mom walked into the delivery room and saw me holding Libby and just sobbed, or the picture of my mom right before my wedding sitting in a chair with her eyes closed, and when she dropped me off at college and came back to give me an apple, and when she was so mad at me when I was little because I got lost at a store in WV...her heart must have been battling so many feelings during those times...happiness, pride, nostalgia, loss, fear.
So, yes, I've never had any doubts about my Mom's love for me....it's just now I understand the depth of it, the ache of it, and the pure joy of loving with a Mother's heart.
I heart you Mom...Happy Day!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

so sweet

Laura said...

I heart BettyJo too!

Jill said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (yesterday but I called and sang to you) AUNTIE BETTES! YOu probably couldn't have guessed it, but this post made me cry.

Anonymous said...

Way to make me cry first thing in the morning. Happy B-day Babette. There really is no other love then that of a mom. Great tribute!!!!! She definitely deserves it. You forgot to mention what a great cook and baker she is also. Aunt Ju Ju needs to go now and get a kleenex. Love you!!!!!

Beth K said...

What a sweet post! I pray that you and Libby have the same special relationship as she grows up! Happy birthday to your mom!

Lisa A said...

Loved this post. I have thought similar thoughts before, but did not have the creativity to put it into such words as you have... :)