Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Calling All Mom's Who Stalk My Bog


And anyone else who would like to add their 2 cents.
I am soliciting your valued advice.
The picture above is an illustration of what bedtime/nap time used to be like in our house.
Calm. Peaceful. Beautiful. You pick the adjective.
Well, sometime between play groups, anniversary, and the Strawberry Faire, those adjectives are out the window, and our sleepy time (which can I just be honest, is my quiet time, blog time, laundry time, grocery list time, whatever you want to call it) is more like this
I case you're wondering the Little is Mayweather and I am De La Hoya getting knocked out.
So, Mommies, Daddies, people with knowledge on getting your baby to not sit up, stand up, or scream during sleepy time...share your secrets with me so we can get back to this...
Don't let her fool you, she packs a mean punch, especially when she misses her nap time!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

that is a beautiful picture of her sleeping
i will call you

Erin said...

i love that pic - we too are dealing with some of that. today she was in her crib for 40 min before going to sleeep, slept for 45 min, up for 30 ... in crib... back down for 1 1/2 hours. weird.

Erin said...

i just make her stay in there. i am mean.

Michele said...

Your not mean Erin!

Once babies learn to sit/stand/walk/whatever, they have to sort of be "re-trained" to sleep again. They are so excited by their new found talent that they do it every chance they get...ESPECIALLY at naps and bed time. I would put her down like you normally do, close the door and let her do her thing. She'll lay down eventually probably and go to sleep. Mine plays for about 15-20 minutes, falls asleep...sometimes wakes up to play again, and falls back asleep again. Leave her alone unless she is crying like she is hurt.

OR...you could go in every few minutes, lay her down, tell her it's night night time (or whatever you say) and do it over and over and over again until about 2 weeks later she gets it. She will. She's testing the waters now to see how far you'll let her go. Don't let her win...stick to your guns if you want her to nap. That's what I would encourage you to do. Mine HAVE to be in bed/crib from 1-3 every day, even if they choose not to fall asleep (which they always do).

Just wait until you transition to a toddler bed. That's fun...hahahaha

Sarah said...

Hi there Mommy,

I really hope you and your husband have 12 kids because I can tell that you guys "get it." And what I mean by "get it" is this: your careers, your house, your cars, your whatever are shadows in the background bowing down before Libby.

For this reason, I enjoy and stalk your blog. On that note: as far as naps go ... wake up; SKIP the morning nap; when she starts to get cranky around 10:30 -- get OUTSIDE to PLAY for at least 45 min; in for lunch & books; drop her in bed awake; at most she'll scream 20 min; by day 3, I PROMISE, she won't scream at all.

I've really noticed blood sugar levels have a lot to do with napping; I let my kids get good and hungry before lunch & that really helps them sleep.

I've followed this routine with 3 kids and they all end up sleeping noon -- 3 then going to bed at least by 8 (it's awesome!)

And yes, you'll thank me for it.

Be well,
Sarah

MommyB said...

wish I could help, Aves is sooooo not a sleeper!

Erika said...

oh the non-napping babies!!! they all do it at some point or another!!! keep the routine and still lay her down even if she falls asleep or not. when k misses her nap which is very often these days she goes to bed earlier. we also leave her in there for at least an hr or so.