Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Blessed Are The Cracks, For They Let In The Light"

Title stolen from Groucho Marx and used at least 3 times on this blog.
Probably one of my most favorite quotes ever, b/c it is reflected daily in my life, in many different ways.
However, for the interest of this post it is tell you that I love old things with many cracks. I love their smell, I love the way they look, and I love the story they tell. Slowly, but surly, old stuff is taking over our home and I like a lot.
Exhibit 1:
My wedding ring...okay so I know that it has nothing to do with our house and perhaps it will seem like I'm boasting...but it is probably my first antique(most of our old stuff is probably worthless, but this is the one thing that isn't) Kev and I visited an antique jewelry store in Oxford, England years back, and I mentioned to him that if he ever did want to ask me to marry him, I would like an old ring rather than a new one. Any way, he said that I tried this ring on that day, but I don't remember. He went back and bought it shortly there after and hung on to it for 6 months before asking me to be his forever. He kept it a secret from everyone! I love it, I don't know what it's history is, but some old markings on the side tells us that it is from the 30's and is French.

Exhibit 2:
Libby's dresser. I love it. I bought it from this lady . While I don't know the origin of it or if it's worth much(which I don't care about) it served the purpose of looking worn down a bit.

Our little turquoise dresser isn't much different than this Belgium Antique, but I think that they both accomplish a similar look minus a drawer, and mine was a fraction of this cost! Thanks Mom!

Exhibit 3:
Our newish photo gallery. It's a work in progress. I don't know where I snagged this idea from, but we bought these shutters locally for I think 60ish dollars.

Check out these nearly identical shutters for $300 a pair!!!!!!! Gasp, I feel like a got a steal.Exhibit 4:
Newest old thing is this old rocking chair. Kev and I have been wanting some rocking chairs for our porch. I know this one is quite beat up (which I like) but it was only $15!
This one is very similar...but new and in need of no repairs. However, it has a basket woven back and seat like my $15 one and it is listed for $898...wowzers!

Exhibit 5: My favorite old stuff...anything from my farm. When they sold the old place I asked my uncles to steal the old high chair for Libby (look at the picture of her dresser and you'll see it), the iron kettle from the wood stove, and the skeleton key from the front door. Well, I got the high chair and the kettle, but no one ever passed on the key. Turns out my uncle just recently dropped it off at my parents house for me and it was keys not key. I made them art and hung them in this frame with a picture of the house. These items are priceless to me.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

i love the idea of art on your shutters. so creative

Jill said...

You're so creative. I love the finished product of the shutter pictures. It turned out perfectly.

MommyB said...

I love your style, it shows your soul!

Erin said...

Love this post and one day can I steal the shutter idea? Your house is to die for. I want to live there and throw all my stuff away.

Amy White said...

I love your decorating ideas. You are a creative genius! :0) You will have to help my decorate my next house. Love you.

Amy White said...

I was talking toddler lang. in the last sentence. :)

Anonymous said...

I believe the line about cracks is from Leonard Cohen.