Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Dog Bed

A couple weeks ago a naughty dog stole a bottle of olive oil off my kitchen counter, and without leaving even a tooth mark, opened the bottle and dumped it all over the living room and his dog bed. Apart from turning the living room into a slippery skating rink and sending his dog bed to the bin no harm done.
End scene,
Enter creative Mommy: "of course I can make a dog bed Mr. Jones, there are instructions in my new sewing book"
Mr. Jones: "Are you sure you don't want to just by one for $30?"
Creative Mommy: "Oh no, this will be cheaper and look much better than anything we can buy!"

That is basically how it went, so weeks later I finished the dog bed.
Was it cheaper and easier to make it? No.
Did it give me a headache, consume my time this week, and keep me up very late trying to finish before the grandma ticker stops ticking? Yes.
Will I embark on such a foolish undertaking again? The answer, of course, is yes. It is what I do.

So here it is with a festive little lady as my dog bed model because rotten, olive oil eating dog would not hold still and stay. I got the Amy Butler fabric from this Etsy store. I saved about $2 a yard buying it online, paid very little for shipping, and had so much fun doing it, b/c I could take my time and concentrate, which I can't do in the fabric store when shopping with the Little.
It photographed nicely, but in real life, it is so bad! And I'm not just saying that. It is bad on so many levels, zipper, cording, loose threads, crooked seams and all, but there you go, it's for a dog, and my first attempt at sewing something other than burp cloths!

The bottom and top are different, so I can flip it depending on my mood. Yellow and green dots.


or gray with lacy flowers



15 comments:

Jill said...

I think the little nugget likes the flower side better.

Laura said...

I LOVE IT!!! you are sooo talented and I am glad you didn't make it as big as it was supposed to be, because that thing is HUGE!

Jessi said...

OMG! You did great-I was there when you were pinning it backwards! LOVE the fabric-can't wait for you to make me stuff:)

Teri said...

These are my favorite pictures of Libs yet!! What an awesome prop! The bed looks so good, Car! Truly!!!! I'm so jealous of your skeels on the sewing machine.

Erin said...

that's amazing and i agree - huge. but more importantly libby looks cute as a button and she takes such good pics! mmm i wanna eat her up!

MommyB said...

Ooh I really like it! That's awesome. Let me know when you open your Etsy shop, cause I feel it comin.

Sandra said...

Libby obviously thinks the new dog bed is great - the big question is does Gus like it? I will find out soon - am really supposed to be checking for travel hold-ups but had to check yur blog first! See you all soon.

Laura said...

oh, also, are Mr. Jones and I the same person?

We always say the same things!

Melanie said...

it looks great and i am very impressed.
wow, seriously!

The Old Life said...

1. your pictures are getting more and more fab by the post

2. LOVE the dog bed...i want a dog bed for me! lol

3. love that you are "creative mommy" :)

Lisa A said...

Such a cute bed! Even if Gus does not like it, it makes a cute prop for adorable Libby pics! :)

Abigail said...

Wow! Great job!

That fabric is so perfect, too. I would have found it hard to use as anything other than clothing, but it really is perfect.

Lucky Gus.

Erika said...

wow i would never even attempt to make a dog bed! it looks great!!! can u make one for Drako?!
thats one adorable lil model there!

Julie said...

WOW!!! It looks amazing!!! You are brave! My two top rules about sewing are #1 no zippers and #2 no piping or cording. They are both of the devil... So, i say bravo to you!!!

WE'RE JUST PEOPLE. said...

THis is so wonderful. I can't believe you made it. You should sell these.