Tuesday, September 9, 2008

They Look and Taste Delicious


Last week in a moment of wishful thinking, I bought food that I have heard are good birth foods, like bananas! This week my bananas, that were not needed for birth, were getting very ripe, so I searched the internet for a banana recipe that was a little healthyish, and didn't call for an ingredient that I didn't have. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I gathered ingredients from several recipes and here is what I came up with.

Banana Nut Muffins w/ Oatmeal Crumble Topping

Preheat oven 375
Bake 18-20 mins
Yields 2 muffin tins worth, but I cut it in half!

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 over ripe bananas
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) of butter melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup pecans
I added 1/2 cup or so of quick cooking oats b/c it makes me think they're healthier this way!

Crumble Topping (this I didn't half , so I guess you would double it to match the muffin recipe)
6 tbsp of oats
5 tbsp flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp soften butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
In another bowl smash or mash banana...leave a little texture. Mix brown sugar with bananas for 3 mins(whatever, I mixed until it was mixed. The recipe I was looking at also called for a whisk attachment on your mixer, which I don't have so I just used my regular attachment and they turned out just fine!) Add in melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients slowly. Fold in chopped pecans, I didn't know when to add the oats so I folded them in also.
Spoon into lined tins or just grease them like I do.

Crumble topping:
Mix all the ingredients together until it crumbles (it called for a fork or knife to crumble but I used clean hands, they worked better) and spoon onto the muffins.

I didn't know how they would turn out, but they are scrumptious. I recommend eating them all immediately when they come out of the oven, but you could wait if you wanted. Kev had two when he came home from work yesterday and loved them. He called them hearty. When I talked to him today, he said he had just finished one, in which I responded you took a muffin to work and said no I packed three!

Try them and enjoy!

7 comments:

Amy White said...

Yummy! I love things with crumble toppings. Good job!

Erin said...

that looks really yummy. i just may have to bake some!

Kathy Harris said...

I guess this means Libby has not yet arrived. Maybe tomorrow.

bettyproper said...

Your great-father (on my father's side) was a well-known baker in Baltimore for a number of years. I'm sure he would be proud of your baking expertise. They look very delicious.

Laura said...

Happy Due Date!!!!

Beth K said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to bake them sometime!

Hope you're doing well today - your due date! What did the midwife say this week? Maybe if Libby's not on her way, I'll see you at small group tonight!

Beth (from church)

Amanda said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! My baby is due tomorrow and I'm just trying to be patient, because I have figured from the beginning that she would be late. Thanks for the recipe, too. I keep buying bananas because I know they're so good during pregnancy but I can never eat them fast enough. Maybe I'll work up the energy to make some muffins!

I'll keep checking your blog for updates. I hope to see a cute little baby on here soon!