Sunday, October 28, 2007

Chicken Noodle Soup


What would you do for a can of Chicken Noodle Soup?????

You probably would not have to do much to get a can of Campbell's deliciousness, aside from get in your car, drive to the store, and pick one up.
Not hard,
not challenging,
just buy it,
$1.00,
maybe.

Today my church did something that no other church I have ever been to has ever done. We sang the songs, we took the offering, we had an amazing time of worship that was all about stewardship of life.
The sermon had three main points of a faithful steward. A faithful steward is humble, puts their hope and trust in God, and does good deeds (I Timothy 6:17-18). Then after the 10 minute sermon, my pastor instructed everyone to get up and leave and go to Publix(our local grocery) to buy long life shelf items that were on a list handed out at the door. We were instructed that there would be trucks out side waiting to collect the food to take to a local charity organization that hands out groceries to people too poor to buy their own.
The amazing part about the day was that
everyone went,
the whole church,
we cleared the shelves.
I have never seen generosity displayed more plainly.
I have never seen a sermon lived out like that.
It was tangible.

It made me want to do more that just Chicken Noodle Soup.

8 comments:

Sandra said...

I hope the recipients understand the correct way of serving condensed soup!!
Joking aside, I think the person who was inspired by God to suggest the idea should be congratulated. I would like to think that we could all be that generous given the opportunity.

Laura said...

I love this blog. I am not even going to try to put it into words. I am just going to link yours. You put it much clearer than I could!

Tessa said...

It was an incredible day, wasn't it. I loved it.
I was so blessed by it too.
How could someone not go to Publix after that sermon? I hope no one skipped out. It was quite cool. One heck of an experience.
Did Kev ever show?

Tessa said...

It was an incredible day, wasn't it. I loved it.
I was so blessed by it too.
How could someone not go to Publix after that sermon? I hope no one skipped out. It was quite cool. One heck of an experience.
Did Kev ever show?

Erin said...

I am dumb. I posted a comment to you on my blog. Read it. :)

SlimTronic5000 said...

Also, don't forget that you can actually WATCH the service, as it happend, by going to the 'media' secion of: www.summitlife.com!

Brandi said...

What a cool thing! I LOVE it! A great experience on the day, but also something that people will remember EVERY time they go to Publix too!

Love you,
Bran

orlando cabrera said...

Carly love the art. I am excited about you doing Max's room!