Saturday, June 23, 2007

Marshmallows and Donuts


When my sister and I were little girls my mother would throw such fabulous birthday parties for us. She always went above and beyond to make them special. She is an excellent cake decorator and we would always have a custum cake of our choice(some of them included Holly Hobbie, Old Mother Hubbard, The Three Little Pigs, they were amazing) . Our birthday's are in the summer so the parties were always held outside in the yard and we always played games! One of our favorite games was when the grown ups would tie a marshmallow or a donut to the end of a string and we would hold our hands behind our backs and try to eat it. I know, you can piture the scene it takes you back to a warm summer day in the late 70's and early 80's and you wish you were there!

So today we had my niece Allison's 3rd birthday party and my sister, the "super mom," was like watching my mom 25 years ago. Allison wanted a Hello Kitty cake, which my sister made and decorated...perfectly. She made favor bags, all Hello Kitty themed and they played "Pin the Tail on the Donkey," and of course the Donut game. It brought back a flood of memories of how my mother went out of her way to make things fun for us. While I sat squatted on the ground taking pictures with everyone's camera making sure we captured every moment of the fun day there was a little girl inside of me that wanted to join in and eat a donut off a string with my hands tied behind my back.



Allison cheating at the donut game



Amy's perfect cake



Amy and the girls
Birthday fun 70's style!(my sister is the little girl in middle with the pony tail)

1 comment:

Laura said...

This is pretty much the cutest thing that I have ever seen.

Come home soon. OK miss you, love you, bye