Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"A" is for Apple

Everything in me is telling me that I should put my computer down and go to sleep.  I have had the best of intentions all day to write this post, and it  is nagging at me that I didn't get it done, so here I am awake thinking about it.  Forgive me in advance for the run on sentences, the misspelled words and anything else that just doesn't make sense, bc I think it is going to be worse than normal.

We have one full week of our preschool schedule under our belt.  Last week's easy flow left me feeling like a rock star mom.  Everyday, when I had dinner hot and ready when the mister walked through the door, I foolishly thought "hey self, you have got this."  Then this week happened and I have been appropriately knocked back down to size...But you didn't come here to read about disaster days, you want to know about apples, or maybe you don't care for a thing that I write, you just come here for the updated pictures of the sweetlings.

Our first week of school was "a" is for apple, so on our down day, which is Tuesday, we went to an apple orchard.  I actually found some great books about apples at the library.  Several of them talked about picking apples at an orchard, then making apple food with the apples you pick.  My big girl was so into this.  My little girl was just into eating the apples.
    It was the perfect Virginia day, blue skies, crisp mountain air, and friends to share it with. We picked apples until our bags were brimming and then ate a picnic lunch.  An apple orchard is on my top ten places to take kids for a fun time.  It is right up there with the beach, but maybe higher because you don't have to worry about them being swept away to sea.  There is loads of room to run and laugh and not a lot of other people to annoy.The little ones never go to far away because they always run back to show you the amazing apple they just found and picked.  Perfect way to kick off school.


Libby was actually a little too into picking the apples. I had to make her stop picking them.  One of our books gave detailed instructions on picking apples, and Kev and Libby practiced the night before. We left with 13 or 14 lbs of apples!  I was sure that some of them were going to go bad, but after 1 batch of mini apple cakes and a lot of eating apples for snacks, we are down to three.

This was a great way to to start off preschool!  It was good to get a positive week for everyone under our belts.  This week has been good too, the routine of our days now is making a huge difference for everyone I think.
I'm off to bed...actually I'm in bed, just now I wrote this blog and I won't be thinking about it anymore.
Happy apples

Grace and Peace

3 comments:

Sandra said...

How dare you suggest that people don't read your blog but just look at the pictures! The pictures are great but the story of the pictures is as important.
Apple picking looks like a lot of fun - I'm just wondering if Libby could have balanced any more apples in one go!

Art Teacher's Mom said...

What could be better than apples in the fall and apple desserts...or just wandering through the orchard picking them! I, too, love the pictures and the stories...this one especially brings back memories of an afternoon in an orchard with two little girls. :)

TeamWhitehead06 said...

Hey!
I read your blog for the articles too!

My phone broke and my iPad- so I have no way to get a hold of you! Can you email me or text me?

I have a crazy story about church today that made me think of/ miss you!

Later!
Nikki