Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Spekes Mill

Tonight Kev asked me if I was going to blog anymore about our trip.  He said that if I let too much time pass it might not make sense anymore.  I told him it that the time didn't matter, that it was more for my memory than anything else and that my blog rarely made sense anyway.  Case and point the previous "Freckle" post.  Now as long as blogs exist, I will always remember that in 2012 Libby's first freckles came to be.

In 2001, I made my very first trip to England.  I had only met Kev twice before.  He took me to all his favorite places in his country on that first trip.  I had planned on staying for 2 weeks  and when it came time for me to leave he asked me not to go, so I changed my ticket and stayed longer.  I know that part of the reason I love going to England so much is that it reminds of that time in my life.  We were so young and falling in love.  Now, I don't want you to throw up on your key board while I talk about falling in love, but it should be noted  that mine and Kev's love story is one of the greatest I have ever heard.  I will never get tired of telling it.
He took me to a secret place called Spekes Mill.  It is a hidden beach that is nestled between two high rocky cliffs.  We spent a day there together and besides a vagabond, we saw not one other person the whole time we were there.  I loved that day. Of all the places that I claim as beautiful or magical or stunning in this part of the world, it has remained the most breath taking .  I have asked many times if he would take me back there, but for one reason or another we've never gone back.

This was the trip!  We parked our car at the end of a lane and trudged through the muck and the mud sure that at any moment rain was going to pour down on us.

The lane opened up into a field and there in all its beauty was Spekes Mill just like I remembered it.  Breath taken away again.

We carried our babies down the path, past water falls that plummeted to the beach, and let them run and explore this almost other worldly place.  They hopped from rock to rock, from rock pool, to rock pool.

  Before we knew it, the rain clouds went away and  the sun came out as if to welcome us back.  With the entrance of the sun of course my girls lost their ability to stay dry and their cloths came off and the giggling started.  We stayed until we couldn't stay anymore.











I never know how to end post like this....How many times can  use the same adjectives?
 Beautiful, magical, stunning,
Over and over again.

Grace and Peace

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I don't think you could ever come up with the right words to explain the splendour of Spekes Mill!

Jenn said...

Car,
What a beautiful, beautiful post.
Love, Jenn

P.S.
I'm STILL pregnant!!!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh Carly! Make me cry over here! I don't know what's more beautiful...your words or pictures. Thanks for sharing both! You rock.