Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Everything's Rosie

Down the road from my Mil's house is a little beach cafe that serves the most fantastic mocha.  Sometimes I dream a happy dream about watching the tide come in while I sip on one.  When at last we reached the beach cafe this trip, I was faced with a conundrum.

Right next door to the beach cafe I dream about was a new cafe. At first I was a little annoyed that they would build another cafe next to my favorite, making it more congested and stealing business, but as I sat and looked at it I couldn't help my curiosity.
I  was lured in by their retro colors and play ground for the kids...plus they have fantastic ice cream flavors.   My beach cafe allegiance is shifting, and I'm not afraid to say it.  I not only love going to Rosie's, I'm pretty sure I want to own it.  I'm a sucker for turquoise and red, polka dots, reclaimed furniture...everything this place offers, plus they serve their coffee in flowered mugs.

Speaking of the beach, every time my children get near a puddle they make a bee line for it no matter how big or small.  You can imagine how hard it has been to keep them out of the Atlantic Ocean.  Most days, like this one (this was also the day I found the Cornish pixie:) I was extremely unprepared, but b/c they giggle when their toes touch the sand I forget to care about their clothes getting wet and sandy and I just let them play.

The sea mist was amazing on this day.  One minute you could see the person standing with you and then the mist would roll in and they would be gone..Hence the reason  I stole the pixie up while I could.

Because the tidal range in Bude is huge, it makes fantastic rock pools along the sand when the tide is out.  In them you can find all sorts of weird and wonderful things like barnacles and sea snails and wet babies.



The first day we got here we expected colder weather, so we bought both of the girls a new pair of wellies...All the weather men were wrong though, so several days later we bought them sun suits and rash vest, so they could really play in the sea.  Libby calls it her surfer girl outfit, and runs across the sand calling to Maggie "come on surfer girl."  I might even have a video of that from Uncle Trevor.


I know this is hodge podge post and not the mega post I promised, but it does cover 2 days instead of one...
Maybe tomorrow I can mega post, and tell you about our mega hike.
Until then,

Grace and Peace

3 comments:

Art Teacher's Mom said...

The pics are beautiful...I was a little nervous when I saw the picture of Maggie in the deep water all alone. I hurried past it. :) I was hoping someone was nearby. Libby looks quite at ease and really seems to be enjoying the sea. I can see why you fell in love with the new cafe. It almost looks like you could have had a hand in the decorating. Gus & I played "catch" with a stick until he ate most of it again. Is that healthy for him?

Laura said...

I just spent about a half hour going through the Rosie's website. OH gosh, the place is dreamy. Pretty sure I would move to Bude and be as happy as a clam.

Beth K said...

Your posts have me dreaming about the English countryside, mochas by the sea, and scones with clotted cream....love, love, love all the fun that you're having and the beauty that you're experiencing! But I miss you! So don't stay over there too long! :)